Considering applying to A-ARL Cohort 5?

Many of the most frequently asked questions about our program and the application process can be found in our FAQ. 

Have other questions? Send us a message and we’ll reply in no more than 48 business hours. 

Please do not contact UNLV Graduate Admissions with A-ARL Program questions, only contact them with questions about submitting your application to UNLV.


Please use the dropdowns to find answers to the most common questions about the A-ARL program.

If you cannot find your question(s) answered here, please  click here to send us a message.

We will do our best to get back to you within 48 business hours — Please do not contact other offices in the interim of the A-ARL Team responding to your request.

Admissions & Requirements
What are the minimum requirements for admission to the UNLV Graduate College?

While each graduate program has unique admissions standards, the Graduate College has set minimum standards for admission. All A-ARL program applicants must meet these eligibility requirements to be considered for admission. Immigration status does not impact admission to UNLV.

  1. Bachelor’s Degree
    You must hold a four-year baccalaureate from a regionally accredited institution or an approved equivalent.
  2. Grade Point Average (GPA)
    You must have a minimum overall grade point average of 2.75 (4.00=A) for the bachelor’s degree or a minimum 3.00 (4.00=A) for the last two years (60 semester hours).
  3. Transcripts
    All applicants are required to submit a transcript from each postsecondary institution attended, showing all degrees and coursework, the dates awarded, and grades received.
  4. Credentials not in English must be accompanied by an English translation certified as true by a university official, an official representative of a United States embassy or consulate, the United States Information Service, the United States Education Foundation, or an approved professional translating service. Notarized copies of originals or translations are not considered official.
  5. Please note that the aforementioned requirements are the minimum requirements set by The Graduate College. Meeting the minimum requirements does not guarantee admission. Admission decisions are based on applicants meeting the minimum Graduate College requirements and a more extensive departmental review, using a combination of factors, including academic degrees and records, the statement of purpose, letters of recommendation, test scores, and relevant work experience.
  6. Please review the Graduate Catalog to learn more.
  7. Supplemental Application
    A-ARL applicants are required to submit a supplemental application through Kira Talent; This application is emailed to you at the address you used to apply approximately 1-3 business days after submitting your application to the Graduate College.
  8. Students requiring an F-1 visa to study in the United States, please visit Graduate International Admissions.

When is the application deadline?

November 15, 2023 at 11:59 p.m.

What do I do after I’ve applied to UNLV?
  1. Check your Application Status
    Log in to your application in our online application portal. Your application status will be updated as we receive documents, the Graduate College completes their evaluation, and the department reviews your application.
  2. Submit your Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) or Alternate Need Form
    All students must have a FAFSA Application on file for the 2023-24 Academic Year. Students who are not U.S. Citizens can fill out an Alternate Need Form available on the UNLV Student Self Service Portal.
  3. Submit your A-ARL Supplemental Application
    You will be emailed the A-ARL Supplemental Application from Kira Talent approximately 1-3 business days after submitting your application to UNLV; You will not be considered for A-ARL without submitting this supplemental application.
  4. For Students Considering Elementary Education ONLY
    Submit required application items in Grad Rebel Gateway
    You must submit two (2) references, a statement of intent, and passing Praxis or CBEST scores in order for your application to be considered.
What do I do after I’ve been admitted to UNLV?
  1. Submit your Official Transcripts
    Submit an official transcript from each institution attended.
  2. Submit Immunization Records
    Immunization records are required prior to the start of the semester, and can be submitted to the Registrar’s Office.
If I gain admission to UNLV, do I automatically get into the A-ARL program?

Acceptance to UNLV does not guarantee admission into the A-ARL program. 

Candidates must also undergo review by the academic department, including completing the A-ARL Supplemental Application (Kira Talent Assessment) to be considered for the program.

After applying to the UNLV Graduate College, you will be emailed the supplemental application to complete; Admission to the A-ARL program will not be reviewed until your supplemental application has been received.

Do I have to pay the application fee?

The fee to apply to UNLV pays for the necessary review of your transcripts. This review cannot be conducted without paying the application fee. 

Application waivers are only available to Fulbright Recipients and McNair Scholars. Documentation of waiver eligibility must be submitted to McNair Scholars must submit a verification letter signed by a McNair advisor or program representative.

Active duty military personnel stationed in Nevada may also request a fee waiver. Please email to request this waiver.

There are no other fee waivers offered.

What transcripts do I need to submit?

Applicants must submit official transcripts from ALL post-secondary institutions attended, regardless of whether a degree was earned or not. If you took a course at any institution, you must submit transcripts; This includes NSHE institutions outside of UNLV.

NOTE: If an applicant fails to submit a transcript from any institution attended, the application will be incomplete and cannot be reviewed until all transcripts are received.

Courses taken at UNLV do not need transcripts submitted.

What is considered as an “official transcript”?

Official transcripts are those issued directly by an institution. Transcripts submitted by an applicant are not considered official, unless they are received in an envelope sealed by the issuing institution. Electronic transcripts will be accepted if they are delivered securely from the registrar of the institution and directly emailed to

Do you accept electronic transcripts? Where should they be emailed to?

Yes. Electronic transcripts will be considered official if they are emailed directly from the registrar of an institution. These transcripts can be emailed to

I have not graduated with my bachelor’s degree yet. Do I have to wait until my degree has posted to apply to UNLV?

No. If you have not yet received your degree and are admitted to a graduate program, you will be offered conditional admission. A final official transcript verifying the conferral of your degree will be required by the beginning of your term of admission.

When will I be notified of my acceptance and receive my final decision letter?

Your academic department will review all materials and submit their recommendation to the Graduate College. Your final decision letter will be posted to your online application account by the Graduate College. You will receive an email when this letter is ready for viewing. The Graduate College no longer mails paper copies of decision letters.

How do I accept or decline the admission offer?

Log into your Grad Rebel Gateway account and select the Admissions tab. You will see a link that says “Admitted-Respond to Offer.” Select this link to read your admission letter and accept or decline admission in the letter itself.

I applied to a graduate program at UNLV but was not admitted. Do I need to send a complete application when I reapply?

If you have previously mailed official transcripts to the Graduate College, you will not need to resubmit those documents when you reapply. Unofficial transcripts uploaded to a previous application will not be transferred onto another application. All departmental application materials will need to be uploaded to the new application.

How do I receive an NSHE ID number?

Your NSHE ID number will be sent to you in a separate email after you submit your application. The NSHE ID will be your student number on campus. You will need this ID number to log in to your MyUnlv account after you are admitted to accept your admission and register for courses.

Why am I showing up as out of state when I am a Nevada resident?

New graduate students are classified as out-of-state for tuition purposes until Nevada residency is determined via the residency application process. Information on how to update your residency can be found here. 

Who do I contact about the mandatory health insurance?

Students who are admitted into a graduate or professional program and are enrolled in 9 credits or more (regardless of the course level) and all Graduate Assistants, will be automatically billed for student health insurance. 

A-ARL students who already have health insurance are able to waive the UNLV insurance by submitting an  insurance fee waiver. Email for assistance.

What immunizations do I need?

More information about required immunizations is available on UNLV’s website.

How will I know that my immunization records have been processed?

You will be notified in the Self-Service Help Center that your immunization records have been processed. The immunization will also be removed from your MyUNLV To Do List.

Source: UNLV Registrar FAQ

If I cannot locate my vaccination records, do I need to be re-vaccinated or can I get a blood test to show that I’ve been vaccinated?

The Registrar’s Office must have proof of vaccinations on record for you to be enrolled in courses. If you can not locate your vaccination records, you should contact your primary care doctor and ask for assistance. If you received immunizations in Nevada you can verify your records online using WebIZ

You may be required to be re-immunized if you cannot locate your records.

If I cannot locate my vaccination records, do I need to be re-vaccinated or can I get a blood test to show that I’ve been vaccinated?

Check your MyUNLV To Do List to ensure there are no outstanding items. If you need to submit vaccination records, your To Do List will show which vaccinations you need to submit proof of.

Step 1: Log into MyUNLV with your NSHE ID

Step 2: Click on the Tasks tile and navigate to your To-Do List to review the details and instructions for submitting your missing immunization records 

Step 3: Upload proof of immunization to the Self-Service Help Center

The hold on your account will be removed once your records have been received and processed by the Office of the Registrar.

Alternatively you can email but this may be a less effective way. Include your NSHE number when you email your results.

Source:  UNLV Registrar FAQ

A-ARL Program Questions
Who should I contact with questions?

Questions about the A-ARL Program requirements, program structure, funding, etc. should be messaged to the A-ARL Team. We will answer any questions in approximately 48 business hours.

Questions about the admissions process should be directed to Please DO NOT reach out to the Grad Admissions for any A-ARL program-specific questions, send the A-ARL Team a message instead.

Are there any information sessions I can attend?

We will host virtual information sessions on the following dates; Please click your desired date to register to attend.

Do I need to be employed to be part of the A-ARL program?

The Accelerated Alternate Route to Licensure (A-ARL) program is designed for students to complete coursework while working full-time as an educator in a Nevada school. 

Students who begin their cohort in Summer and/or Fall semesters are expected to obtain employment as a licensed educator in the same semester in which they begin their program (i.e., students who began in Summer/Fall 23 must be employed in Fall 23). 

Students who begin their cohort in Spring semesters are expected to obtain employment as a licensed educator the semester following their start date (i.e., students starting in Spring 24 must be employed by Fall 24). 

The A-ARL Team maintains relationships with Clark County School District, Washoe County School District, and with Charter Schools and can assist students in finding open positions that fulfill A-ARL requirements.

Do I need to pass Praxis or CBEST before being admitted to the A-ARL program?

Depending on the program you wish to join, there are different deadlines for passing standardized tests for licensure (Praxis or CBEST). 

Students wishing to join the Elementary Education A-ARL program are required to submit passing Praxis or CBEST scores no later than May 10, 2024.

Students wishing to join the Special Education or Early Childhood Education A-ARL programs will have until June 30, 2024 to submit passing Praxis or CBEST scores.

Test requirements can be found at the  ETS PRAXIS website.

Does the A-ARL program follow the UNLV Academic Calendar?

The program honors the observed holidays in the academic calendar.

PLEASE NOTE: Individual course dates and deadlines are set at instructors’ discretion — please refer to syllabi and course materials on Canvas and contact your instructor(s) for course-related dates and deadlines.

When do A-ARL courses start?

The A-ARL Bridge Experience will comprise your first required sessions for the A-ARL Program. Students must attend Saturday, December 16, 2023 and Saturday, January 6, 2023, time TBD.

Students who successfully complete the Bridge Experience will begin A-ARL coursework during the Spring 2024 semester, which begins on Tuesday, January 16, 2024.

What courses do I take during my program?

Depending on the track you are enrolled in, A-ARL students will be enrolled in 4-5 classes each semester of the 1-year accelerated program. Elementary courses are offered in four (4) sessions over the semester, each as a 4-week format. Early Childhood and Special Education courses are offered two (2) sessions over the semester, each as an 8-week format.

An example course schedule for all tracks is available here; Students should be aware that these schedules are subject to change as courses and/or instructors are available — these examples should be used to understand the potential course workload while in the program.

How do I register for courses?

Students are registered for courses by the A-ARL Team. Students should not enroll or drop themselves from any courses — please instead reach out to the A-ARL Program Team.

Are courses in-person or virtual?

Courses, with the exception of in-person Saturday sessions, are conducted via WebCampus/Canvas, asynchronously. You will find your courses in UNLV WebCampus. Use your UNLV ACE ID to access your account.

Mandatory Saturday sessions will be held on UNLV’s Campus (rooms TBD) according to the following schedule (dependent on your chosen program): 

  • Early Childhood Education: Weekly Saturday session for each 8-week course
  • Elementary Education: One (1) Saturday for each 4-week course
  • Special Education: Weekly Saturday session for each 8-week course

All students residing in Clark County are expected to attend Saturday in-person sessions live and in-person; Virtual accommodations will only be made for students residing outside of Clark County.

Is there any in-person attendance required for the A-ARL program?

Students residing in Clark County are required to attend all applicable Saturday course sessions on-campus and in-person; Virtual accommodations will only be made for students residing outside of Clark County.

In addition to Saturday course sessions, students are also required to synchronously attend four (4) Educators LEAD Professional Development Days either in-person or virtually; More information on attendance format will be provided to students accepted to the program.

What if I can’t attend Saturday sessions?

All Saturday sessions are in-person and mandatory, unless you reside outside of Clark County (must reside in another Nevada county). 

Saturday sessions are mandatory and you will not be permitted to move forward in the program if you miss any in-person Saturday sessions for any reason. The only exceptions are documented medical or religious. Virtual accommodations can be made on a case-by-case basis by contacting your instructor.

What do I do if I get sick?

If you are unable to attend a Saturday session during Bridge due to a documented medical reason that occurs within 24 hours before the Saturday session, please notify your instructor and provide documentation outlining your medical situation. If it is determined your in-person absence is justified, you will be provided a link to join virtually.

If I have previously taken a course required by the A-ARL program, do I have to retake that course?

In most instances, if a required program course has been successfully passed and recorded on a submitted transcript, you will not be required to repeat courses taken previously. 

Program Funding & (Re)Payment
What costs am I responsible for?

It is our goal to be able to provide this program with as little out-of-pocket costs from students as possible. Currently, the program plans to support at least 75% of the total cost of tuition and fees of the program. Students will be made aware of any program costs that they will be responsible for; The A-ARL team is in the process of securing additional funds that will cover the program 100% for all accepted students. 

Students are responsible for any costs associated with required textbooks and materials.

If I complete the Bridge Experience but choose not to continue in the A-ARL program, will I have to pay for anything?

The Bridge Experience is free for all students, it is designed to be a “trial run” of the structure and pace of the program. Students who choose not to continue in A-ARL will not incur any charges.

The following instances may require require repayment by the student: 

  • If a student voluntarily separates/withdraws from the program after the semester’s course drop date has passed, the student may be responsible for the cost of tuition and fees for any courses in which they were enrolled; 
  • If a student fails any course(s) during any semester in which they are enrolled, the student may be responsible for the cost of tuition and fees for any failed course(s).
What are examples of requirements that could be attached to funding?
  • CCSD money comes with an obligation to teach in CCSD for three years. Our understanding is that each month you teach you are given a credit for what was spent on your behalf.
  • State of Nevada (NV-EPIC) money comes with the expectation that you work as a Nevada teacher for three years, but not necessarily an obligation that will be enforced.
  • If you are awarded Teach Nevada money, there is not an obligation to teach in Nevada for five years, but a financial incentive if you do so.
Do I need to fill out a FAFSA?

Yes. All students must have a FAFSA Application on file for the 2023-24 and 2024-25 Academic Years (when available).

Students who are not U.S. Citizens can fill out an Alternate Need Form available on the  UNLV Student Self Service Portal.

Does funding for the A-ARL program come from Pell grants or other scholarships?

Pell grants are part of entitlement funding used to support tuition and fees. They are not loans. As such, Pell is part of our funding formula. Meaning, those eligible for Pell will have those amounts applied to tuition and fees to offset the tuition and fee burden. There may be additional entitlement funds that you may qualify for which will similarly lower your fee bill as these funds are automatically applied to tuition.

I’ve been registered in courses and now I have a bill on my MyUNLV account. Do I need to pay it? Should I set up a payment plan?

No, you do not need to pay your bill, nor do you need to set up a payment plan. 

While you personally will not pay for tuition in fees, a bill is generated on your behalf when you are enrolled in courses. The NV-EPIC program and its partners will be covering the costs associated with your program, but we do not have precise dates by which those payments will be made. 

As such, you may receive emails saying you have a balance and/or asking you to set up a payment plan — you may disregard these emails. You have been added to lists that maintain your enrollment, but we unfortunately cannot stop these auto-generated emails from being delivered to your email, we apologize.

Do I need to take out loans to pay for my program?

We do not expect nor obligate you to take loans; In fact we would prefer that you did not take loans as it complicates your Cost of Attendance allocations. 

Some students wish to take loans. You should work with  UNLV Financial Aid and Scholarships to understand your scenario and your federal caps as they often cannot be exceeded. Because we ensure you do not come out of pocket for the costs of tuition and fees, taking loans on top can have implications towards federal maximum caps.

I took out student loans. Will this impact my funding for the A-ARL program?

Students who choose to take out student loans while in the A-ARL program should be aware of the following: 

  • When you are enrolled in courses, tuition and fees for the associated courses are added to your MyUNLV account. 
  • These charges, while covered by the A-ARL program, do not get paid until the end of the semester; Because grant funds are disbursed at the end of the semester, A-ARL students will likely carry a balance on the MyUNLV account for the duration of the program. 
  • Before loans are disbursed to students, any balance on MyUNLV for A-ARL courses will be paid by the loan. If any additional funds remain, they will be refunded to the student.
  • When grant funds are disbursed at the end of the semester, any loan funds that were applied to the student’s balance/tuition/fees will be refunded to the student.